Introduction

Before you begin reading, I have just a few words to say.

Firstly, this blog far from represents the entirety of the material that I have read this year, as I'm sure is the case with many of these blogs; I merely selected the best literary works of my reading year to review and display here. All of the entries on this blog are posted on books, which naturally rules out all of the fanfiction, webcomic, magazine and article material I've read; it is not even a comprehensive list of all the books. Just a friendly disclaimer.
Secondly, the entries' dates bear very little relation to the actual date of borrowing or completion. Being the lazy student I am, I often put off writing entries for months after finishing a book. Please disregard the dates as largely irrelevant. It will spare you some puzzling.
And thirdly, as blogs tend to work, the oldest entries are at the bottom, and because my entry count seems to be unfortunate in this way, there is exactly one entry on the second page. Just to ensure that you don't miss it. I recommend you begin reading from the oldest entries up, to gain a more accurate perspective of my year in books; after all, they always say one must put themselves in someone else's shoes to truly understand that someone's experiences.
Finally, this div, the one containing the posts, happened to block my artist's signature, but for future reference, the art on the right is mine, and I reserve the rights to it. It's getting kind of old now, that particular piece of art, seeing as I drew it sometime at the beginning of the year, but it's worth a mention nevertheless. Just so you know I'm not violating copyright laws.
Thank you for reading, and enjoy.

Tuesday 7 May 2013

The Da Vinci Code | Dan Brown


Okay, so that was the book I was looking for when I accidentally picked up Earth; I'd heard two of my friends raving about it, which was enough to convince me to go looking for it. To be honest, I didn't seem to enjoy it as much as they did, but hey, it was more reading material.

The Da Vinci Code has become quite acclaimed recently, not without reason, I suppose. It tells of an adventure mystery story that begins with a murder of a prominent museum curator and goddess theologist Jacques Saunière in the Louvre, Paris, that brings together two unlikely people: Robert Langdon, a Harvard professor in symbology, and Sophie Neveu, a codebreaker for the French Judicial Police and the granddaughter of Saunière. Together, they work to crack the mysterious clues Saunière left them in his dying moments, locate and protect the Holy Grail and discover the truth regarding Sophie's mysterious family, while being mistakenly pursued by the Judicial Police for Saunière's murder. It's quite full of action and excitement, and not a bad read, although the plot was a little linear and the story too predictable for me; it, in my opinion, lacked some depth.

Overall, it was a cool book, and it brought out some very interesting things to contemplate about the Holy Grail, Mary Magdalene and Jesus's remarkable life. Maybe it wasn't exactly to my taste; nevertheless, this led me to borrow Deception Point, which I thought was much better, even if it was only because that was a sci-fi novel and the plot was way more exciting. I would recommend it; perhaps not overly so, but it was still a nice read.

No comments :

Post a Comment